Maria Marlowe is a successful writer, author, public speaker, and passionate Real Food Evangelist. She heads up her own integrative nutrition coaching practice in NYC, and offers three distinct programs tailored for healthy weight, beautiful skin, and overall wellness.
We love Maria’s creative recipe ideas because they go the extra mile to transform basic healthy ingredients into signature dishes that are both unique and delicious. Her new book, The Real Food Grocery Guide, is now available to help shoppers make food choices that enable them to look and feel their best.
There’s something about layered parfaits that delivers a “wow” factor in a way few other dishes can. The layered presentation looks so gorgeous and professional, it’s almost guaranteed to be greeted with wide-eyed awe.
To impress friends and family with an elegant parfait that’s as healthy as it is delicious—and is actually easy to make—look no further than this scrumptious pumpkin pie parfait layered with coconut caramel.
Spiced pumpkin desserts have been a holiday staple for many generations, and they come with their own special reasons to celebrate. Pumpkin puree is rich in prebiotic fiber, vitamin A, beta carotene, vitamin C, and carotenoids to encourage healthy skin, eyes, immune system, digestion, and whole body wellness. The spices traditionally paired with pumpkin enhance its nutritional value as well as its taste, supporting healthy blood sugar, cholesterol, immune system function, and even mood balance.
This pumpkin treat is unique in that also incorporates healthy fats like coconut and avocado (which is a great prebiotic, too!), as well as organic prebiotic powder to give the parfait a super powerful gut-healthy boost. And as if this wasn’t already enough, pecans provide a sweet finish by contributing a host of additional vitamins and minerals including calcium, magnesium, folic acid, and potassium. This recipe makes four servings, so there should be enough for your whole family tonight—but with a treat this yummy you may want to make an extra batch for all of you to enjoy as an extra special breakfast tomorrow morning.
Pumpkin Pie Layer:
• 16 oz steamed and peeled pumpkin (or one 15 oz can pumpkin)
• ½ large avocado
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons date syrup
• ½ - ¾ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 2 scoops Hyperbiotics Prebiotic Powder
• Pinch pink salt
Coconut Caramel Layer (optional)
• 1 can full fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla
• 1 tablespoon date syrup
Maple Cinnamon Pecans*
• ¼ cup raw pecans
• 1-2 teaspoon maple syrup
• ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
1. First, bake the pecans: Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and cinnamon, and mix well until combined. Add pecans in bowl, and mix well until thoroughly coated. Lay out the pecans flat on a baking sheet, and drizzle any remaining syrup mix over them. Bake for 15 minutes.
2. Make the pumpkin layer: Combine all ingredients in a blender (a bullet works well) and blend until combined, about a minute. Don’t leave out the pinch of salt. Taste, and mix in more pumpkin pie spice if desired.
3. Make the coconut caramel layer: Flip the coconut milk can upside down and open it. Pour out the liquid part into a separate container, to be reserved for another use. Spoon out the thick white cream and put into a bowl. Add the vanilla and date syrup. Use a hand mixer to whip it all together into a cream. (You could also put it in the bullet blender instead. It will be more liquid-y, less fluffy, but equally delicious.)
4. To assemble the parfait: Spoon alternating layers of pumpkin and coconut caramel into 2 pint glasses/jars or 4 mini jars. Top with pecans, and a drizzle of date syrup, if desired.
*You can use raw chopped pecans or nuts in place of the maple cinnamon baked ones if you wish.
© 2018 Hyperbiotics.