A balanced and healthy functioning gut is essential to our overall well-being. Probiotics, also known as beneficial bacteria, can help maintain this vital balance. (1)
Research reveals that probiotics from food and supplements help replenish the healthy bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract while fighting off gut pathogens and toxins. (2)*
Just like the gut microbiome plays a role in healthy digestive function, the esophageal microbiome plays a role in acid reflux and GERD. (3)
Acid reflux is an issue that many of us face. Fortunately, probiotic supplements may play a role in managing symptoms of acid reflux to help you feel your best.*
What is Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is known by a few other names, such as indigestion or heartburn. This umbrella term covers conditions like gastroesophageal reflux (GER) and Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Reflux occurs when stomach acid and food come back up into the esophagus. In other words, acid reflux occurs when the contents of your stomach go in the wrong direction. The result can be a burning sensation, nausea, burping, bloating, and abdominal discomfort.
The duration of acid reflux ranges from a couple of hours to an entire day. If this feeling lasts longer than 24 hours or becomes more frequent, GER may develop into GERD.
GERD is a much more severe form of acid reflux, and if left untreated, serious health complications may arise.
What Causes Acid Reflux?
The truth is that acid reflux can occur for various reasons, including: (4)
- Excess stomach acid from spicy or fatty foods or other triggering foods like chocolate, tomatoes, garlic, onions, citrus, caffeine, and alcohol
- Eating large meals or lying down immediately after eating
- Obesity (this puts increased pressure on the abdomen and may affect digestion
- Medications and smoking
- Diagnosis of a hiatus hernia (when part of your stomach moves up into your chest)
- Hormonal changes and pressure against your stomach during pregnancy
Common Acid Reflux Symptoms
The most common symptoms of acid reflux include an intense burning sensation in the chest, regurgitation of food, constant dull abdominal pain, shortness of breath, and nausea.
Symptoms can also include:
- Persistent laryngitis or hoarseness
- Ongoing sore throat or cough
- Consistent belching and bloated feeling
- Unexplained weight loss
- Dysphagia or difficulty swallowing
How to Manage Acid Reflux
Dietary and lifestyle changes may be beneficial in reducing the frequency of acid reflux. The following changes may help:
- Avoid triggering foods
- Eat smaller meals
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid tight clothing
- Wait a few hours after you eat before lying down
- Stop smoking
- Ask your healthcare professional to review your prescriptions to determine if they might be a reason for your acid reflux
Natural supplements, especially probiotics, can support upper respiratory health, including managing acid reflux symptoms. (5)*
Taking the Probiotic Route
Probiotics are good for overall intestinal health, restoring balance in our digestive system while combatting the symptoms of acid reflux. (5)*
Research states that the best probiotic supplements for acid reflux include those containing strains of lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium. (5,6)*
Bifidobacterium lactis has been utilized in human clinical trials to reduce regurgitation, a frequent sign of acid reflux. (6)*
Best Probiotics for Acid Reflux (Our Review)
Hyperbiotics offers probiotic and prebiotic supplements for the whole family. The product line even includes probiotics for dogs and cats to keep your four-legged friends feeling great.
Hyperbiotics’ precision probiotics are designed to meet individual needs. Each specialized product offers a curated selection of science-backed, targeted probiotic strains for precise results you can feel. Each time-release tablet has up to 15X more survivability than veggie capsules.‡*
Below are two best-selling Hyperbiotics products that contain Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, the probiotic strains that work best when dealing with acid reflux. (6)*
Hyperbiotics’ PRO-15 Advanced
Hyperbiotics’ Pro-15 Advanced Strength is a science-based probiotic supplement that supports your immune system, digestive function, mental health, and metabolic functions to help combat acid reflux.*
PRO-15 Advanced Strength delivers 15 targeted probiotic strains to support gut health through bacterial diversity. It is designed with Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Streptococcus for those who require a balance of friendly gut bacteria and are searching for support when experiencing occasional acid reflux.*
This formula also includes kiwifruit, a powerful prebiotic that feeds good bacteria, fights bad bacteria, and supports bowel regularity.*
Available as an easy-to-swallow probiotic tablet, Hyperbiotics’ Pro-15 Advanced has a proprietary release system. While standard veggie-based tablets only reach as far as your stomach acids, this technology goes one step further with Hyperbiotics’ BIO-tract delivery process. This state-of-the-art supplement is designed to bypass stomach acids and reach deep into the intestinal tract alive and more readily absorbed.
Hyperbiotics’ PRO-15 Advanced is a gluten-free probiotic product that repopulates probiotic colonies and supports probiotic survival in the GI tract by using controlled-release delivery.
This product supports the following:
- Microbiome balance*
- Digestive system function and may be one of the best probiotics for constipation that Hyperbiotics offers*
- Occasional acid reflux management*
Hyperbiotics’ Better Body: Probiotic for Weight Management^
As we mentioned earlier, being overweight and consuming heavy meals can lead to a buildup of stomach acid, a precursor to acid reflux for many people.
Better Body Probiotic for Weight Management is formulated with these unique properties:^
- It provides six targeted probiotic strains, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, to support healthy digestion and metabolism*
- Contains prebiotic nutrients and White Kidney Bean Extract to help support digestive health*
- Carefully chosen ingredients help restore balance to your gut microbiome*
- Long shelf life & no refrigeration necessary
- Our proprietary time-release tablet has up to 15X more survivability than standard veggie capsules‡
Getting acid reflux regularly can be frustrating, and you may be willing to try just about anything for some relief. Fortunately, probiotics may help ease some of your acid reflux symptoms.*
Many factors cause acid reflux and create unwanted symptoms. Probiotics offer a science-based, natural way to deal with the underlying causes to optimize your digestive health.*
Whether you consume more probiotic-rich foods or use probiotic supplements that contain Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, probiotics can play a role in acid reflux management.*
If you still have questions as you embark on your microbial journey, we invite you to visit our Customer Support Center any time, day or night, for caring and friendly information and guidance.
- Curr Nutr Food Sci. 2013; 9(2):99-107 [PMID: 24353483]
- Trends Food Sci Technol. 2020; 102:178-192 [PMID: 32834500]
- J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11(Suppl 12):S1588-S1593 [PMID: 31489225]
- Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2013; 2013:936792 [PMID: 23509449]
- Nutrients. 2020; 12(1):132 [PMID: 31906573]
- Scand J Gastroenterol. 2011; 46(9):1057-64 [PMID: 21663486]
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug (FDA) Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
‡BIO-tract® vs. instant release formulations under in vitro test conditions.
^Provides weight management support as part of a healthy lifestyle with a reduced-calorie diet and regular exercise.