Turmeric Sweet Potato Bowls
Food bowls are all the rage these days, and with good reason. They’re colorful and enticing, fun to eat, and they combine lots of nutritious, gut-healthy foods you might not otherwise think of putting together into a single, very hip meal that really works. This recipe makes four servings, so it’s perfect for an easy family dinner everyone will like, or a trendy presentation for an evening with friends.
Turmeric earns lots of attention for its antioxidant power, as well as its benefits to the cardiovascular system, skin, brain, joints, and overall wellness. This food bowl boosts turmeric’s wellness-enhancing properties even further by adding more delicious superfoods to the mix. Sweet potatoes are loaded with prebiotic fiber; vitamins C, B6, and D; and iron, magnesium, and potassium; and eggs contribute high-quality protein, iron, zinc, copper, selenium, and B vitamins. Prebiotic greens and grains are also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants—and nuts round out the recipe with rib-sticking healthy fat and protein.
But the best news of all is that after the first bite, your friends and family probably won’t be thinking about nutrition at all. That’s because the flavors in this healing food bowl blend so beautifully, all anyone will really notice is how yummy it all tastes!
Turmeric Mashed Sweet Potato Ingredients
• 2 large sweet organic potatoes, cut in small cubes
• Avocado oil for skillet
• 1½ teaspoons turmeric
• ⅛ teaspoon cumin
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
• Celtic sea salt to taste
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups organic vegetable broth
1. Coat skillet with oil and add sweet potato cubes and saute at medium-high heat.
2. Add turmeric and cumin, and gently toss to coat sweet potatoes.
3. Stir in garlic and vegetable broth.
4. Lower heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are soft and broth is almost completely absorbed.
5. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and mash.
6. Mix in fresh pepper and sea salt.
Citrus Herbed Dressing Ingredients
• ⅛ cup fresh lemon juice
• ⅛ cup fresh lime juice
• ⅓ cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 small clove garlic
• 1 teaspoon agave
• ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
• ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until thoroughly blended.
Additional Healing Bowl Ingredients:
• 4 poached or scrambled eggs (tofu scramble for vegans)
• 4 cups cooked amaranth, quinoa, or brown basmati rice
• 4 cups fresh organic kale, arugula, or mixed greens
• Pine nuts, pistachios, cashews, or almonds for garnish
To assemble the bowls:
1. Toss fresh greens with the dressing. Reserve a bit of dressing to stir into the mashed sweet potatoes if desired.
2. Divide the dressed greens equally into four large bowls.
3. Add a quarter of the sweet potato mash to each bowl.
4. Spoon cup of grains or rice into each bowl.
5. Place one egg in each bowl.
6. Sprinkle nuts over each bowl for garnish.
For more gut-healthy recipes, check out The Hyperbiotics Cookbook.